Thursday 21 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 4 Activities

Activity 1: The Waiata - A Song in Your Heart

My favorite Waiata is Rona. This is my favorite because this is one of my favorite Waiata I learned at my school. It is also my favorite because I find the story of Rona very interesting. These are my two main reasons on why it is my favorite Waiata. Also when it is sung right it sounds amazing.

Activity 2: Playing Games

Chosen game:
Poi Rakau

Goal of the game:
To improve hand-eye coordination and gain confidence in using a rakau or Taiaha.

Two of the rules:
1. If the person passes with their right hand, the catcher must catch with their left hand and then pass to the person to the left of them, then that person passes back to the middle.
2. Only one person in the middle of the group.

Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals – Matatini

1st place: Te Puku o Te Ika
This performance was the best by far. I liked everything about it, their formation, singing and actions.

2nd place: Te Iti Kahurangi
This performance I liked most things except that at the beginning it was difficult to hear due to quietness in the performance.

3rd place: Tamatea Arikinui at Te Matatini

This performance was good but at one point they went out of sync with their actions and it didn't seem right.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Blake,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team. It's great to see that you have been working away at these activities.

    I hadn't heard that waiata before so thank you for telling us about it! It's always good when a song tells a story. Those are the best kinds of songs. Can you tell me about the story it is telling? It would be great to learn some more about that story!

    Good work with your Poi Rakau description. Have you played this game before? I have and enjoy it very much. You need good hand-eye coordination which I find quite easy because I play the piano and am always reading music.

    Good job explaining why you have put the songs in this order. I put Te Puku o Te Ika in first place as well. Can you tell us some more about why you liked Te Puku o Te Ika the most?

    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.